Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Homeschooling Myth #7



Myth #7 People that homeschool are missing out on proper socialization.

The above picture really says it all.

I will add that I have a child that is 12 and one that is 17. They have both been homeschooled their whole lives. I haven't seen any indication that there has been a problem. They have participated in many events over the years and have had several volunteer opportunities. They have been around many kinds of people of different ages. My oldest has been to homeless shelters, nursing homes, and many other places where she can get a broader view of the world. My youngest has said in the past that her 'best friend' was our 80 yr. old neighbor and yet she also plays with a girl in the neighborhood this is in kindergarten. She loves to help her when they play so it is more like she is taking care of her. ;-) She doesn't hesitate to meet new people & talk to strangers. Yes, I am with her so it is OK! Don't panic! Both my girls can talk to and interact just fine with adults of any age and yet they can do the same with tiny children and babies (they love babies!). Isn't that what being socialized is all about anyway?

Let's see what the dictionary says about this.

so·cial·ize

1. To place under government or group ownership or control.
2. To make fit for companionship with others; make sociable.
3. To convert or adapt to the needs of society.


I think there is a lot more of #1 and #3 going on than most people want to admit. I would like to point out that converting &/or adapting to the needs of society is not my #1 responsibility as a parent. However, if #2 is our goal "to make fit for companionship with others" that is a fine goal. It can certainly be accomplished with homeschoolers and it is all the time.



In most cases, true socialization is not spending 6 hours a day with people all your own age. If the real world were set up like school (that is where people think your children get socialized) we would have a problem. For example, can you imagine a society where your neighbor can come over and take food (or anything else) right out of your refrigerator (did you have your lunch stolen at school?) and you are told to deal with it or work it out? What about having someone bigger or stronger than you that comes over and gives you a pounding whenever they feel like it. Should we tell them to get a tougher skin? Stand up for yourself! Wait a minute. In the real world we would call the police if someone entered our home, stole from us or beat us up. I believe that is called assault!



This is just the tip of the iceberg. There is so much MORE that can be said about this. Most homeschoolers have heard this question many times and have strong opinions. If you don't believe me just ask a homeschooler if they are worried about socialization.


However, before you do that I encourage you to read this. It will give you lots to think about. :-)



Another great read is here.

Here is an interesting comparison from HSLDA about how homeschoolers do as adults (once you click on the link be sure to click on NEXT in the bottom right to scroll through). What I have copied below is only a small part. There are many more interesting facts at this link.

My comments on this are in red.



Homeschool graduates are active and
involved in their communities. If they aren't properly
socialized how are they doing this?
Seventy-one percent participate
in an ongoing community service activity (e.g., coaching a sports team,
volunteering at a school, or working with a church or neighborhood association),
compared to 37% of U.S. adults of similar ages. Amazing that they can deal with all these people isn't
it?



Eighty-eight percent of the homeschool
graduates surveyed were members of an organization (e.g., such as a community
group, church or synagogue, union, homeschool group, or professional
organization), How do they do this when they are SO
unsocialized?
compared to 50% of U.S. adults




Only 4.2% of the homeschool graduates
surveyed consider politics and government too complicated to understand,
compared to 35% of U.S. adults. This one blew me away!
I guess it shouldn't though. When I was in school I bet I would have said
the same thing. I am sure I was much more interested in socializing!
;-) My childrens interest in politics makes me ashamed to admit that. They
know tons more about government/politics than I did up to an age I would rather
not admit!



This may account for why homeschool
graduates work for candidates, contribute to campaigns, and vote in much higher
percentages than the general population of the United States. For example, 76%
of homeschool graduates surveyed between the ages of 18–24 voted within the last
five years, compared to only 29% of the relevant U.S.
population.

79% compared
to 29%! Can you believe it?




No comments: