Saturday, January 26, 2008

Why We Homeschool Part 3

I found this image here.


Once the decision was made I had peace about it all. I knew this was the answer that God had provided. I also knew this would be a hard road but well worth it. A lot of people didn't understand and I am sure were very concerned. Unlike some people, I didn't have any rude family members or friends that grilled me on this. I did have questions and I certainly understood that. This was a really new and different thing for most people. At that time I didn't know anyone that homeschooled or so I thought.

Over a period of time I remembered that one of Michael's co-workers homeschooled. I didn't know them very well but over the years they have become dear friends. My friend, helped me in so many ways. She was always available to answer my questions, look at her curriculum, and just be there to talk when I needed her. She was a gift from God! Thank you Karen! (As a side note, she now has 7 children. One of her children has graduated and is at ORU. He is very smart and he impresses me every time I see him with what a respectful young man he is. All of her children love God, are respectful, well behaved, full of compassion, and smart! )


There are SO many benefits of homeschooling. The first thing I love is the relationship I have with both of my children. We are very close. I had heard for many years about how terrible the pre-teen and teen years are. I have a 17 yr. old and have loved all 17 years. I haven't had other children telling my children on a daily basis how stupid their parents are. I haven't had other children teaching my children how to be rebellious towards their parents. I haven't had other children or teens teaching my children how to drink, smoke, or become sexually active. My children have the same values as my husband and I. We have taken time to explain those values and morals to our children (probably more often than they would like). These are shared values and morals not things we have forced on them. We haven't had a system fighting against our family for the last 11 years trying to undermine us. We are our children's peers. That sounds funny but it is really a neat thing. Our children have their own personality and style for sure. However, they don't have the pressure to dress inappropriately, because everyone else is or to fit in. They don't have to work at getting the attention of boys because their father pays attention to them. They don't have that need or that desire.


They don't have the need to fit in because they already do. They fit into our family perfectly. We accept them and love them unconditionally. We are not like the typical school peers that like them one day and not the next. We accept them no matter what their hair looks like or clothes. We don't think they are weird when they talk about important heart matters. We don't make fun of them for caring about other people or showing love, friendship, or kindness to others that may seem "uncool".

How has this helped my children? In so many ways! I will share with you some of them. My children don't feel near the pressure that other children do to fit in. Keep in mind there have been a few times that they felt left out....mostly at youth group in church. :-( Since they don't have this pressure they are free to be themselves. They don't flinch at all when in a social setting with adults. They have no trouble fitting into situations where there are no teenagers or no children their own age. We have a monthly activity where there is a 2 yr. old, a teenager, some younger children, and some adults. My girls get along just fine with all of them. Nobody minds playing with the 2 yr. old. They also have no problem conversing with the adults. They aren't upset that they aren't with their friends because they consider all these people their friends.

This has helped my children be more outgoing than me and to try new things! As I mentioned before I am shy by nature. It is difficult to say the least for me to meet new people. The idea of public speaking or being on a stage was horrifying. My husband was similar. These things were pretty far out of our comfort zone. How in the world can two people like that raise two children that don't have those fears? We encouraged them to do the things they wanted to do. We never let them know how frightened we were of these things for them. We acted like these were all very normal things. There was no peer pressure to be afraid of. Of course, we didn't tell them that we were shaking in our boots FOR THEM. Without peer pressure and fear to hold them back they have had some wonderful experiences that their parents have never had. Our oldest as many of you know has been in several community plays, has sang at church a few times, and was in a play on a stage with thousands of people watching.


Our youngest hasn't done the same things but is similar in not being afraid of those types of things. Just last night someone called to ask our youngest if she would be willing to stand up in our homeschool support group Mom's meeting to talk about the Middle School Game Nights. She didn't even flinch. Sure! I thought she would be a bit nervous but that didn't even come to her mind. She was just excited that she was asked to share.


She has never met a stranger and loves to talk to people. She tells me her best friend is our 80 yr. old neighbor! He is so interesting she says. He fought in WW2 Mom. Isn't that cool? Yes, it is I say. It is very cool. We have tried to teach our girls that the older you are the more wisdom you have. As a matter of fact to help them learn that idea I told my children many years ago, "the more gray hairs a person has the more wisdom they have". I tell them that the longer a person lives the more time they have had to gain wisdom and gray hairs! I tell my children to listen to older people because we value their wisdom. Of course, this has come back to haunt me a bit. Hannah keeps asking WHY I want to cover up my gray hairs. "That is your wisdom Mommy!" :-)
Click here for part 4

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great endorsement for homeschooling. I am so proud of you and your family! I think you are a wonderful example of doing it "right". Love, Sherry