Friday, January 25, 2008

Why We Homeschool Part 2

I found this image here.


At the time we were pondering the school issue for our daughter we were watching a late night Christian talk show person. He had commercials regarding homeschooling and started talking about homeschooling. We had never known anyone that did that and didn't know anything about it. (Feeling like a pioneer again.) Well, actually I did seem to recall someone that homeschooled when I was a child (well, I think I had just heard about them) and everyone thought they were freaks. Not something that sounded good to me! I didn't want people to think we were freaks! (I found out years later there are some pretty normal and awesome people that homeschool!)

One day my husband came to me and said "why don't we homeschool"? Hmm, great question. My first thought was "why don't YOU homeschool"! I didn't go to college and get a degree in teaching! I don't know anything about it and it sure sounded frightening!!! I can't do THAT!!!!
That was my first reaction. However, even though that was probably the end of the conversation for that day that thought kept nagging me. Why don't we? Why not? Of course, then I would remember all the reasons why, no degree in teaching, who do I think I am , what will people say, etc. The funny thing was that the more time went on the more I wondered to my self, why not? I decided to investigate. I went to the library and got every book I could on homeschooling and learned all I could. The more I learned the more I realized that we could do it! This was not an impossible thing at all.

People have been homeschooling since the beginning. Who taught Adam & Eve's children? There were no schools and college educated teachers, only parents. What do parents do? They teach! How do children learn to walk, to talk, to eat, to go potty? The parents teach them. The children learn by watching the parents and the parents take time to actually teach the children. I realized I had been teaching since my little baby came into this world. I even taught her what the cow says and what the horsey says. ;-) I also realized that there was a time in US history that people didn't even go to school. We had some of the most well educated and well spoken people during that time. Reading the writings of people close to the beginning of our country is amazing. Who taught them how to read, to write so eloquently? It had to have been their parents.

We have had some really famous people that were homeschooled. What about presidents that were homeschooled? Think of Abraham Lincoln, George Washington, & Thomas Jefferson. These were brilliant men! What about Alexander Graham Bell, Thomas Edison, the Wright Brothers, George Washington Carver, Mozart, Mark Twain, Benjamin Franklin, & C.S. Lewis? What would America be without these great men?

If you are interested in finding out about many other famous homeschoolers check out this link.

http://www.home4schoolgear.com/famoushomeschooler.html

These were not ignorant men. These men were taught by their parents. It is obvious from their lives that their parents taught them a lot more than facts and figures. I believe, and their lives show, that their parents taught them things that would help them get through life and be great achievers and/or great leaders. They were taught excellent work ethics, morals, diligence, patience, leadership qualities, determination, and many more important life skills. They didn't learn these qualities from a school teacher or their peers in a classroom.

At this point I realized this whole "homeschooling" idea may be a really great thing! When I realized I could keep my little girl at home with me and she could still get a good education I was thrilled. This was the answer to my aching heart. As always, God is faithful!

Click here for part 3.

No comments: