Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Why We Homeschool Part 5

Images in this post were found here.
This is the last day of my 5 part series. Once you are done reading this please leave a comment. After sharing my thoughts I am wondering what your thoughts are on homeschooling.

One of our daughters has had some difficulty in language processing and reading. If she had been in school I am sure she would have been slapped with a label and maybe they would have wanted to medicate her. I am sure that at the very least she would have been made fun of and her self-esteem would have been shot. These are things she gets to avoid. The saying, "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me" is not true. Those hurtful words can break our hearts and stick with us our whole lives. I am so glad to help my children avoid those. This is not to say that our children have never been made fun of (it has not been very often though) but they come to us when it happens. We are able to comfort them and put it into perspective. Instead of that, my daughter brags, "I am Momma's helper" and "I am Momma's problem solver". She recently figured out how to put a trampoline together.


Martin Luther, in the seventeenth century said:
"I am much afraid that the schools will prove the very gates of hell, unless they diligently labor in explaining the Holy Scriptures engraving them in the youth. I advise no one to place his child where the Scriptures do not reign paramount. Every institution in which men are not unceasingly occupied with the Word of God must be corrupt."


I think the above quote is very interesting and we don't have a problem with this either. Bible is a daily part of life. The girls read their Bibles daily and we often have discussions on the Bible, Holy living, life choices, consequences, morality, and the lack of morals in society. We also don't have the problem of other people telling my children in word or deed that the Bible is useless or unreliable and/or there is no God. In the grand scheme of things, when all is said and done, will an algebra equation, photons, or diagramming sentences be the issue .........or eternity?

You know in all honesty I often think to myself what a great life my girls have. I would love to have lived in a world that was full of support, love, and understanding instead of those dreadful school years. Who loves you, supports you and understands you better than your own parents? That is one reason why homeschool parents make great teachers. They know their children better than anyone else. Can any other teacher compete with that? (I am not saying everything is perfect either. We are imperfect people living in an imperfect world so we all have problems.)

I wrote the "Why We Homeschool" some time ago. Recently, there have been some hilarious, frustrating, or frightening things that make me even more glad we homeschool. Some examples are the child that is being punished for hugging in school, the child that has distracting hair, banning games and running, severely inappropriate relationships with students, and of course all the school shootings are a good argument for homeschooling.

Recently, my oldest daughter (age 17) was asked what her favorite thing about homeschooling was. Her answer surprised herself. She said it was being family oriented. That was one of those days where I was especially proud to be called a homeschooler.

I could go on about this topic for a long (er) time but I will stop for now. I hope that after sharing our thoughts on this subject you will look at homeschooling in a different way. I would love to hear your comments on this topic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kim,

It always does my heart good to read what comes from your heart! I always feel encouraged that I really CAN do this and it really IS worth it.

Thanks,
Karen