Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Cultured Moms Favorite Things-Pectin & Grape Juice



Some time ago, I heard from a friend about a very interesting treatment/natural remedy for arthritis and other similar pain. Thanks Jayne!

Time for another one of Cultured Moms Favorite Things.
Have you heard about Pectin and Grape Juice? Well, I had not heard of it before but apparently it is something that has been around for a long time (think 1940's). I had NO IDEA! I tried this when I hurt myself. I think I hurt my knee or something like that. It wasn't a big injury but it sure was hurting. I had been in pain when I started thinking about this idea. I figured if it helped arthritis and that is an issue with the joints maybe it would be helpful to me. I feel very confidant that it DOES help a lot. I did several experiments and my confidence only grew. After having a good deal of success I did some more research. I discovered that this was also good for people dealing with IBS.

If you are interested in trying this the most common recipe is 2 teaspoons of Certo in 3 ounces of grape juice three times a day. I don't think you have to take it 3 times a day but it may depend on how severe your issues are.

This website said the following,

"Within a week, most arthritis sufferers experienced significant relief of pain. They then either reduced the dose or discontinued Certo altogether until they had another flare-up of pain."

Here are two things I thought that were interesting when I read about this.

#1 Many people swear by the effectiveness of an arthritis Certo treatment, yet to date there have been no studies conducted on it to prove its efficacy.

#2 Certo is a thickening agent that can be found in most grocery stores. It contains an extract called pectin, which is a natural ingredient found in plant cells.

I found this information here. At that same site there are several other suggestions for help in this area.

I thought these comments above were pretty funny actually. #1 A lot of people swear this works BUT there have been no studies proving it? #2 Pectin is a natural ingredient found in plant cells. Have we ever heard how good it is for us to be eating LOTS of fruits and veggies? Well, do we really need a test to figure out how, why, and if this works?
I say do your own study.
Try it for several days and see what you think. It is certainly a lot cheaper than the medication prescribed for this issue. Also, there are NO side affects. How can you go wrong with this?

You can find this at the grocery store with the canning products, like Suregel, canning jars, or I think it is also in the jello/pudding area.

For more interesting reading here are a few more links for you. Be sure to read all the way to the bottom on the first one.

The People's Pharmacy
(there is even a suggestion that this helps with high blood pressure/high cholesterol

About.com arthritis

Submit Your Article.com

If you try this (or have already tried this) please leave us a comment with your results.

Tip From Cultured Mom:
You don't have to drink this in a full glass of juice. You can just use about 3 oz. if you like. I usually mix mine with Pomegranate juice (2 oz.) and grape juice (3 oz.) for a total of around 5 oz.

The main thing to know is to stir IMMEDIATELY or you will be drinking chunky juice...a lot like a chunk of jelly. Not very tasty to me.

No comments: