Friday, September 19, 2008

Beethoven Number 5 or Number 9?

Geez! I had a funny experience yesterday. It felt surreal. I remember laughing during this conversation and thinking I would have never guessed that I would witness this. This was one of those "You Know You Are A Homeschooler When" moments.


I was sitting at the table with my two daughters, ages 13 and 17. My 17 yr. old loves to write. She has been working on a story for a few years now. She wants it to be published and later turned into a movie. She has done a lot of research for this book. You would be surprised at the titles of some books reserved at the library. The research that she is currently working on came in from the library yesterday. It was 2 CD's of classical music. Apparently, there is a very important scene that needs 'the perfect' music. It has to be a little bit sad and not too upbeat. She wants to say what the character is listening to during this time. The character in the story enjoys listening to classical music from time to time. I know this doesn't sound too funny, yet. I am getting to it. You need the back ground information on this one.


This is what happened. I am sitting at the table helping my 13 yr. old with some school work. My 17 yr. old comes in and sits on the other side of me. For several minutes we have been listening to Beethoven. Suddenly, like a scene from a movie I realize I am in the middle of a very passionate converstaion. My 13 yr. old is saying, "oh, no, you do NOT want Beethovens Number 5 sympony, Number 9 is much better. It has more of what you want. Number 5 is WAY too upbeat for this scene. The discussion goes on for a few minutes until I burst out laughing.

Shortly, after that there was a debate about who wrote the Sugarplum Fairy...I know the correct answer...Peter Tchaikovsky!


How funny is that? The fact that my 17 yr. old is checking classical music out at the library and then such a passionate discussion with a 13 yr. old? Surely, I have done SOMETHING right. I hope this gave you a laugh. I sure laughed about it yesterday.


Well, I am not sure what is funnier. The story above or the fact that my 13 yr. old loves country music AND classical music. She is an amazing child. :-)

No comments: