Monday, November 24, 2008

Thankfulness and Discouragement


Although I like to cover politics and many world events on here I want to remind everyone (including myself) that we must be careful not to get discouraged. My family is very political. We enjoy listening to talk radio and I especially enjoy reading things on the Internet regarding what is going on in our world. I want to be made aware of issues that pertain to us as Americans.

As my blog states I think a lot of people (especially Moms) get busy with life and miss out on important things. When you have children at home, especially small children your whole world can easily become just your own family. We sometimes lose sight of things that are going on outside of our four walls. If it doesn't have to do with cooking, cleaning, disciplining, and maybe reading up on a topic related to being a wife or mother we may miss it.

We live in an important time. So many things are going on every day in this country and around the world. Things are changing quickly and important decisions are being made every day. Often, these decisions are going to affect if not us directly most certainly those children we are working so hard to raise. In light of that, I encourage everyone, no matter what season of life you are in to pay attention to the world around you.

As Christians we know that we are "in the world but not of it". That is a hard balance to achieve sometimes, I know. However, we are also supposed to be a light in this dark world. The dark forces are working over time I think to make changes and do some very damaging things. It is important to be informed so that we can take action when necessary, be able to talk to friends or co-workers in an educated way on issues, and be able to vote having all the facts.

Having said all of that I want to tell you not to get discouraged and how to accomplish that. This has been something I have been learning this year and it was brought up again at church yesterday. Of course, shortly after it was brought up I had an opportunity to be discouraged. Like a kid on a warm summer day, I put my toe in the pool to get a good feel for it, just a little bit of course. Then my whole foot went in.

This morning I am remembering and trying to encourage myself. While I am at it maybe I can help you too. The secret to getting out of discouragement (or not getting into it at all) is thankfulness. It seems so simple and you may wonder how it can be that easy. I believe in most cases being discouraged is just a sign that we have taken our eyes off the things we are thankful for. We are focusing on on the things we are NOT thankful for. It happens to all of us.

When you honestly put some thought into many of the things you are thankful for it is in my opinion, impossible to be discouraged. How can you be discouraged when you are thinking of all the many wonderful things in your life? Yes, I know times are hard for a lot of people. I know that people are worried. I know that we are hearing from many voices lots of discouraging news. There are times when you do need to take yourself away for a while. Get your mind off of what the world is saying. Go to the Bible and see what God is saying. There are many promises in the Word. As that old hymn says, it really is time to "count your blessings, name them one by one, count your blessings see what God hath done".

As Thanksgiving is fast approaching I say it is time to actually write down those blessings. Get your family involved. Then on Thanksgiving Day you can read them out loud if you like. Even when it is not Thanksgiving keeping a list of things you are thankful for is a great idea. When you feel that discouragement creeping in, go get your list or make a new one. Really focus on that list and I am sure it will be a short amount of time that the discouragement is replaced by rejoicing.

I will leave you today with that great hymn. It was written well over 100 years ago but certainly applies to today. Read it for the first time or read it again with a deeper commitment to actually counting your blessings and naming them one by one.


Verse 1

When upon life's billows You are tempest tossed,
When you are discouraged Thinking all is lost,
Count your many blessings Name them one by one,
And it will surprise you What the Lord hath done.

Chorus:

Count your blessings Name them one by one.
Count your blessings See what God hath done.
Count your blessings Name them one by one.
Count your many blessings See what God hath done.

Verse 2

Are you ever burdened With a load of care,
Does the cross seem heavy You are called to bear.
Count your many blessings Every doubt will fly,
And you will be singing As the days go by.

Verse 3

When you look at others With their lands and gold,
Think that Christ has promised You His wealth untold.
Count your many blessings Money cannot buy,
Your reward in heaven Nor your home on high.

Verse 4

So amid the conflict Whether great or small,
Do not be discouraged God is over all.
Count your many blessings Angels will attend,
Help and comfort give you To your journey's end.

The words to the hymn above were found here.

No comments: