Thursday, June 19, 2008

Lies Homeschoolers Believe


This is a great post on another blog I just found. You can go to Heart of the Matter Online to see it and a lot of other interesting posts.


They have handed over that blog temporarily, to their men and calling it "Dad Week". Love that idea as Dads have a lot of wonderful things to share too. The men have taken over and are writing some excellent posts! You really should check it out if you are a man, a dad, and especially a homeschool dad. I think all men would benefit though.


I have seen the comments on this book and now I think I need to get it. If you have beaten me to it, leave us a comment. Here it is.....

There are days where even before the school day has begun, I ask the QUESTION. You know the one. The question I venture to guess I ask weekly and some weeks, daily;

"Am I doing a good job homeschooling my children?" DEEP SIGH~

Todd mentions "those" homeschoolers, the ones who appear to be perfectly composed and peaceful. I have seen enough know that images such as those are unrealistic, but I still find myself doubting and questioning. I know the TRUTH, but I often fall victim to the LIES.

I know that I often have to fight to not "believe the lies." I know that lies in any form are destructive, but I have to tell you, sometimes I catch myself believing them. I spin my wheels for ways to DO MORE, BE MORE, SPIN THE WHEELS FASTER. It's a good thing to always be learning and looking for ways to make our homeschool "better for us," but it's when I do these things for the wrong reasons that I begin to doubt. For each of us the "lies" we believe are different, but they are lies nonetheless. I find myself falling for those lies that attack the things that I struggle with as a woman, despite our choice to homeschool.

I have always been an "over achiever." I blame it on my "first born status," but when the enemy wants to attack me, he'll go straight there. I imagine it's the same seductive voice that Eve heard in the garden. It's NEVER conspicuous, it's sneaky and subtle, but if I am not constantly aware, I'll find myself falling for it EVERY TIME.

" Come on Lori, you can do better; your kids are not getting all they need; you really don't think YOU can do this through high school, do you?" Before I even realize it, I find myself BELIEVING THE LIES that have subtly been implanted into my subconscious. I stand as Eve did, dripping with fruit juice, wondering HOW I fell for it again. And after a "bad day" I'll tell you there is JUICE everywhere.

That is how it was JUST the other day, Monday I believe. "Tough day?" my better half inquired....I could feel it, my eyes began to well up, and on came the faucets. "I just don't know, are they learning, doing, being ENOUGH?" He looked at me, square in the eye and said, "yes, you know they are, they are BECOMING the people that God wants them to be. There are going to be BAD days at work." Deep Sigh! So I wipe those tears and begin again.

I BELIEVE in homeschooling. I BELIEVE that God called me into this 4 years ago, I BELIEVE in it with all my heart. I BELIEVE it is the best situation for our family...I BELIEVE these things and I'll tell you I still get sucked into the lies at times. I DO.

After reading the rest of this you may want to read this book also. The whole post is here.

No comments: