Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Criminalization Of Christianity

Just saw this book in an email. Looks like a very interesting read. Have you read it? Leave a comment if you have and let us know what you thought. I just requested it from my library.

The Criminalization Of Christianity

Janet L. Folger

People in powerful places want to eradicate the Christian faith from American society. However, upholding traditional values has become synonymous with "tolerance."

At first the attacks were subtle. The Supreme Court ruled that children couldn't pray in school. The Ten Commandments were removed from our classrooms - and later, our courtrooms. Now pastors are imprisoned for speaking out against homosexuality, people in New York are fired from their jobs, and kids in California are suspended from school, all for exercising their religious freedoms.

How in the world did we get to this place in a "free" and civilized society, and how far will it go

Here is an excerpt from the book.....


The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke, statesman, orator, and political thinker

There is a war going on for the future of our country. Most people know that. What they may not know is that if Christians lose, the result won't be just public policy with which we disagree; it'll be a prison sentence for those who disagree.

We've all seen the attack coming. The year I was born, the Supreme Court said that kids can't pray in school-at least not out loud. Can't talk about God-at least not the real one-in school. If you want to use the name of Jesus, you'd better be taking it in vain or be in another country ... like Russia.

My senior year, the Ten Commandments were ripped from classrooms for fear that unsuspecting students might read them ... and actually obey them. Wouldn't want to discourage kids from lying and stealing and killing, after all. Then the Commandments were pulled from public buildings and courthouses from Alabama to Wyoming. And while we sit idly by, our enemies are warming up the sandblasters and taking aim at our national monuments and the Supreme Court, where the Ten Commandments are engraved.

Yes, we've all seen the attack coming. But I'm not sure we all see where it's going. After all, the Supreme Court said we're still allowed to say "one nation under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance. Maybe things are going to be okay after all.

Think so?


FAIR WARNING

In 1997, my friend Bob Knight, who directs the Culture and Family Institute at Concerned Women for America, gave a speech that opened my eyes and changed my life. He made a statement that, quite frankly, I didn't believe. He said, "The ultimate goal of the homosexual movement is the criminalization of Christianity." I immediately thought, What an exaggeration! Come on, Bob. You can make your case without hyperbole. I said nothing, but for the next several years I watched and listened. And learned.

After all, homosexuality wasn't my issue. I was the "pro-life girl." Helped pass the nation's first ban on partial-birth abortion and every other law the Supreme Court would allow to help women and restore protection to children-children who were real no matter what label was used to describe them and who through no action of their own had someone else's "choice" inflicted upon them.

About ten years ago, I was where you likely are right now: I knew the Bible had strong words against homosexuality, and I knew the health consequences were severe. For their own good, I hoped people didn't engage in it, but I didn't feel the need to speak to the matter. I knew some homosexuals, and, well, they were nice people. Still are. Christ Died for them, just like He died for me.

Then one night I was watching C-Span. It was airing a conference of the Human Rights Campaign, the largest homosexual lobby in the country. One of their directors, a lesbian, was pounding on the podium, screaming words I will never forget: "We must do away with words like abomination!"

My first thought was I wonder where that word is found. For those of you who don't know, it's in the Bible (Leviticus 18:22, KJV). God uses it to describe the practice the homosexual movement has built its identity around: homosexual sex.

I began reading everything I could get my hands on and talked often with the leaders on the allied side of the cultural war (that would be the side standing for life, liberty, and family). In one such conversation, Bob Knight predicted that homosexual activists would soon go after the Boy Scouts of America. No way. Why in the world would they want to go after a group as American as apple pie? One that teaches kids how to be prepared, tie knots, and help old ladies across the street?

But with the help of the ACLU and their network of activist judges, the homosexual lobby kicked the Boy Scouts out of city parks, public schools, and local meeting rooms. Next they took away their city, county, and United Way funding to mentor kids without fathers. They started calling them names like "discriminatory" and "bigoted." Why? Because the Boy Scouts didn't think it was in the best interest of young boys to let self-proclaimed homosexuals become scout leaders and go camping with them. The whole idea makes about as much sense as letting middle-aged men go camping with teenage girls....

2 comments:

Mrspsycho said...

Very good post Kim! I may have to order this book too.

Peculiar Blogs said...

I ordered it too! :-)