Tuesday, August 26, 2008

More Secrets to a Happy Marriage



After my post a several days ago regarding "The Secret To A Happy Marriage" it got me thinking. After being married for 18 years I may have learned a few things about marriage.


DISCLAIMER: I do NOT profess to be an expert and a lot of people have been married a lot longer than my husband and I. I know there are a lot more words of wisdom out there but a lot of them are not sharing. In an attempt to help those that have been married less than 18 years I want to share some things I have learned. If it is helpful, let me know. If you have some advice let us all know. I would LOVE your comments.

I am going to share something that I heard recently at a homeshcool support group. It sums up. in a better way, some of my own feelings about marriage. Yes, you might find it a bit surprising regarding the source. I am really blessed to be in an awesome homeschool group with an awesome leader. Some of the information that was shared came from here.

Today's information is geared toward wives so husbands need not read any further. ;-)
We were reminded that although you hear all the time, "the husband is the head of the household" the correct way of thinking is "the husband is the head of YOU".......Ouch! That sure changes things doesn't it?

Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is head of the wife, as also Christ is head of the church; and He is the Savior of the body. Eph. 5: 22-23

If we let our husbands be the head of us it will naturally trickle down to the rest of the family. When the children see Moms respect and attitude toward Dad they will follow. I have seen this in my own home. The way the children see the parents respecting each other is how they will treat their parents also.

The comment was also made that we should be serving our husbands and training our children. A lot of times we get this backwards and try to serve our children and train our husbands. Stop and think about that for a minute....

Sadly, you can look around you and see the results of parents that have been serving their children. It is not good. Not good for the parent and certainly not good for the children. My husband has had the attitude from the beginning of our marriage that the children will eventually grow up and move out. He has even reminded our children of that! (That is a good thing. It really helps them put the correct perspective and priority on marriage and children.) There is a time frame for having children in our homes. Before the children were there and when the children are gone your spouse will be there. If we spend our lives serving our children by the time they move out it is going to be difficult to say the least. That is why I believe so many people look at each other when the children move out and realize they do not have a close connection. They lost their intimacy. Who is this other person? Sometimes that marriage even ends in divorce. Very sad.

We need to value and protect the marriage relationship. It is so important. That is what the family is based on. If we value and protect the relationship with our children and let the marriage go we end up hurting the children and the marriage. Children want to grow up in a family with both of their parents loving each other. We should make sure our children see that so they will do the same in their marriages. It is important for the children to see the love and commitment between the parents. It is comforting to them and gives them a sense of stability.

If we work at serving our husbands there will still be a good relationship when the children move out. I try to remember to serve my husband but I am guilty of trying to train him from time to time. Although that is a mistake getting that little reminder is also a relief.
One less thing I have to do.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

As long as husbands follow 5.25 from the beginning of the marriage I can agree with you.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous, often if the wife does what it says, the husband is much more likely to follow 5:25 (love your wives as Christ loved the church).Even if not at the start of the marriage at some point. That is why it says we can win them over with with our testimony/lifestyle.
1 PETER 3:1- 2 Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives; while they behold your chaste conversation coupled with fear. KJV

As followers of Christ & wives, we can't disobey the scriptures according to what the husband does or does not do. However, this emphasizes why it is SO important to follow the Holy Spirit, wisdom, and the guidance of adults/parents when choosing a spouse. Anonymous....are you a husband or a wife? If you are a husband, remember that this post was directed TO the wives. The post to the husbands would look a lot different. ;-)

Anonymous said...

melanie said 2 months later:
That is correct the big things in life are made of little things. I have a husband who i dont think was ever in love with me and makes me feel really bad about myself. We have tried counseling..i have tried to make him read certain things on the internet about how to have a better marriage. I have tried losing weight. I have tried just showing him i love him with nothing else no strings attached and still i get criticized. Our relationship used to be abusive but he has since turned that into verbal abuse. He told our counselor that he got with me because of a white russian. He told me that the mere sound of my voice makes him want to kill himself. He wont sleep with me anymore. He purposely avoids me when i ask for special time with him..im really hurt and i feel stuck because we have four children and those were just because we happend to have sex one night. I have a five year old girl, a three year old boy, and twin one year old boys. He doesnt like to help me too much with the kids and if he does have to help he finds a way to make me feel bad for it. I just am craving attention and i would love a hug when i cry or a sweet kiss or anything special to show me he really does love me. I have had to deal with this my entire life. I was always made fun of in school. I never really had a best friend so i just feel like this may be normal for my life. Maybe God made this plan for me who knows. I just wish i was good enough. I wish someone would look forward to being with me or sleeping with me or just be with me. I am very depressed from this and i cry all the time..what on earth do i do?


I know too many in this position, that is why I made the statement.

This posting is referencing your footnote to "The Very Simple Secret to a Happy Marriage"

It is not my intent to offend, I just do not interpret this scripture in the same manner.

Anonymous said...

Dear Melanie-Anonymous,
I am SO sorry to hear about your marriage. You are not correct to believe that God made this plan for you. This is certainly not God's best for you or your family. However, I am just a Mom/Wife and not a counselor so I feel terribly unqualified to counsel you. All I know is that Jesus is ALWAYS the answer. The problem sounds like getting your husband to realize that too.

You said..."It is not my intent to offend, I just do not interpret this scripture in the same manner". I am curious what your interpretation would be. As you know, I didn't write it. ;-)

Your situation is a lot more complicated. I will be praying for you and know that even very bad situations can be turned around. At the very least you have 4 children that love and depend on you. That is a blessing. I would like to correspond with you a bit more but privately. If you are interested in leaving an email address I would love to talk to you more.