Friday, August 29, 2008

Rebellious Teens? No!


(The book above is supposed to be excellent. I haven't read it yet but it is on my "to read" book list. For more about this book clicke here. )

I found an article that sums up my feelings about those so called "rebellious teens". I just had to share it with you. Go here to see where I found it (scroll down). Bold print is mine, added for emphasis.

HOME Where They Belong
I have two teen boys - soon to be three. Levi turns 13 years old this Valentine's Day. Amazing. Three teens in my house. I've entered a new phase; a new chapter in my life is unfolding. And I LOVE it.

When Paul and I were engaged, we went to a pizza place once. We were discussing our future together, in particular, our forthcoming children should the Lord bless us with any. I thought I was so smart, so savvy. I was this 19 year old kid, chomping at the bit to be married and someday become a mom - but I was clueless. I announced to Paul on that pizza date that when our children become teens, that yes, they would be rebellious (like all teens - like ME) but that we would just do our best, and hopefully relate with them.

WRONG. Boy, did Paul set me straight at that very moment. He announced back to ME, that no, our future kids did NOT need to be rebellious and that if we trained them up in the Lord, we could skip all that rebellious nonsense. I looked at my future husband skeptically (what a goof I was). I gave him a, 'Well, we'll seeeeee' look. Sure, dear. You just keep thinking positively.

Guess what. He was right. 100% correct. My older, wiser, soon-to-be husband knew the truth. He knew God's word. He blew off the world's way of thinking and insisted that I must, too. So many years have passed. My word, three teen boys live in my home! My quiet home. My God-honoring home. Are my boys perfect? Oh...far from it. Do they fear the Lord? Do they respect Paul and me? Do they love each other? Do we have their hearts? YES. You want the "secret?" Here it is: Shelter them. They're yours, gifted by God. Train them up in the admonition of the Lord. Keep them near you. Expect obedience, insist on it. Hold them accountable. Give them lots of responsibilities - and plenty of space. But keep your eyeballs fastened tightly to that space. The key is relationship, too. Be interested in them. Let them drone on and on about their latest software application or musical composition (Paul and Luke, respectively, there!). Love them but not as a pansy best friend. Love them with strength and resolve. With seriousness, firmness. They'll thank you for it later, and you will be blessed. God's way (His word) is always the best way.

- Gena

No comments: